How We Review and Rate Products
We believe in transparency and objectivity, this is why we want you to know what is out methodology for reviewing and rating products
We believe in transparency and commitment to objectivity, and this is precisely how we review and rate the products and services we review. All writers and editors follow our editorial guidelines as part of our commitment to our readers.
It is important to note that our team of writers and editors reviews products and services on a yearly basis; however, they will also update the content throughout the year if there is a notable feature worth sharing or a piece of news worth covering for a particular product or service.
All of our reviews are scored on a scale from 1 to 5. A 1-star rating means that the product or service is poor or subpar, hence we don’t recommend it to our readers. A 5-star rating, on the other hand, is excellent, and as such, the product or service is highly recommended to our readers. Ratings are rounded to the nearest half star. The overall rating of a product or service we review is clearly visible in all of our reviews.
To help determine the overall rating, our team of writers and editors use a number of factors deemed essential to the adequate functionality of a set product or service. The factors are weighted depending on how they will impact a consumer’s overall experience.
We take into consideration over 15 factors which vary depending on the type of product or service being reviewed (i.e., brokers, robo-advisors, real estate platforms, etc.).
Our Review Methodology
Our review methodology follows strict guidelines that take into consideration many factors. The process we follow to review and rate products is as follows:
- All product reviews and comparisons put our readers first and aim to provide the most useful and helpful information possible.
- Our writers and editors follow Google’s guidelines (Google Product Review Update) when it comes to reviewing products and services.
- All reviews on our website are intended to factual and research-based. Any recommendation from our writers or editors to a particular product or service is their own opinion based on data, in-depth research, and analysis.
- Our reviews don’t exist with the purpose of enticing someone to sign up, subscribe or click on an affiliate link. Our writers are instructed to remain unbiased (be critical of a product when it does not perform as intended, and give praise when it does what it is meant to do).
- Our reviews are in-depth and are meant to provide more details than what is listed on the product/service provider’s website. Our reviews are meant to provide expert insight into a set product or service.
- Our reviews are meant to demonstrate how the product or service functions in real life. Our writers and editors are instructed to provide expert commentary and analysis on all features, benefits, fees, support, user experience, etc., or lack thereof.
- Our writers and editors are instructed to maintain a neutral tone and remain objective when writing, editing, and publishing content on our site, including product reviews.
- Our writers and editors are instructed to praise a product or service when credit is due but always remain neutral and objective.
- Our writers and editors are instructed to point out deficiencies and/or failures of a product or service if the product is bad or needs improvement.
- Regardless of whether a product has positive or negative reviews from our team. Our writers and editors will always provide alternatives to our readers, as they may find them more beneficial for a particular reason.
- All of our reviews include comparison tables to provide our readers with choices when it comes to a product or service. The comparison is intended to demonstrate what sets a product or service apart from the competition or how the competition outshines in any given case.
- All of our product reviews include a section describing the advantages (pros) and disadvantages (cons). Our writers are instructed to provide expert commentary and analysis as to why they think that is a pro or a con of a set product or service.
- All of our reviews include a “Features Table,” which is intended to inform the reader of all the important features (or lack of features) of the product or service.
- All of our reviews include a “Best For” section, which is intended to guide our readers as to who is that service or product best suited for.
- Our reviews also include a section pointing to other third-party sources like Trustpilot and the Better Business Bureau, where set product or services is reviewed. This is intended to give our readers further clarity about what other people are saying about the product, its performance, and their experience with it.
- Our reviews include screenshots, graphics, and other supporting data or media to provide readers with first-hand evidence of how a product works or performs in real life.
- All of our reviews include a section called “Latest Updates” intended to guide the readers as to the latest news or highlight how the product has improved or gotten worse over the years.
- All of our reviews provide quantitative measurements as to how a product or service performs in a given category. The categories vary depending on what’s important for a consumer. The categories and ratings are listed in the following section.
Our Rating Methodology
Not all products or services are created equal; as such, we have prepared a list of factors we deem essential to the adequate functionality of a set product or service.
Here are the current rating methodologies we’ve developed:
- Robo Advisor Rating Methodology
- Online Broker Rating Methodology
- Cryptocurrency Platform Rating Methodology
- Real Estate Investment Platform Rating Methodology
- Alternative Investment Platform Rating Methodology (coming soon)
- Survey Platform Rating Methodology (coming soon)
- Cash Back Platform Rating Methodology
- Money Making App Rating Methodology (coming soon)